Wednesday 17 December 2014

Genesis 38 and 39

I did read Genesis 38, the story of Judah and his daughter-in-law Tamar, which interrupts the Joseph story.  I even wrote part of a post about it, but it seems to have disappeared.

It encouraged me to go and reread the beginning of Robert Alter's The Art of Biblical Narrative, which explains why the story is not randomly placed, but purposefully set after the introduction the Joseph story.

I moved on to Gen 39, the meeting of Joseph and Mrs. Potiphar, so wonderfully portrayed by Donny Osmond and Joan Collins in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

What I particularly noticed in the Hebrew of Chapter 39 is the use of words that kind of sound the same.  The word for "beside", אצל (etsel) occurs 4 times.  Also with that "ts-l" combination of sounds is the word for "succeed or prosper", מצליח (matsliach), which appears 3 times.  I don't suppose it's significant -- just struck me as interesting -- and it would sound nice, read aloud.  


1 comment: