Tuesday 2 December 2014

Genesis 36: In which I meet Mehetabel.

Chapter 36 is a list of names.  All the descendants and tribes of Edom, that is those descended from Jacob's brother Esau.  One of the names (in v. 39) is מְהֵיְטַבְאֵל (meheytavel) or Mehetabel.

This name reminded me of Mehitabel, which must be simply an alternate spelling.

And Mehitabel reminded me of Archy (the cockroach) and Mehitabel (the cat), about whom I had not thought in many, many years.

I googled around and was reminded that I had met them at school, in the poetry of Don Marquis.

Which led me to a Wikipedia page for Shinbone Alley -- the MUSICAL!!!! based on the poems about Archy and Mehitabel and was written by (among others) MEL BROOKS!!!!!! and whose original Broadway cast included (among others) MISS EARTHA KITT!!!!!!

This all kind of blew my mind, as you might guess from all the exclamation points.

I remember liking the poems a great deal as a girl - of course I didn't know what a cockroach was at that time.

I love musicals.

I revere Mel Brooks.

And EARTHA???  Words cannot express.

See where the Bible will lead you?

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment