Wednesday 12 November 2014

Jacob's ladder? or ramp! no, escalator!!

Today I read Genesis 28, about Jacob, his dream of angels going up and down something or other, and choosing a God (or not).

The word that is usually translated "ladder" in Gen 28.12 is סלם (sullam). It's a hapax legomenon, that is, it only appears this once in the Bible.  I checked HALOT just for the fun of it (Koehler & Baumgartner's The Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament), and they gloss the word, "stepped ramp, flight of steps."

I checked similar words and sure enough, the word סללה, (solelah) is the word for an assault ramp, like the one at Masada, and is attested to almost a dozen times in 7 different biblical books.  It certainly looks like the same root as the unique סלם word, so ramp or something ramp-like would be a good translation.

Come to think of it... that makes the Simpsons' escalator to heaven a fair image!
From the always entertaining Simpsonswiki



Anyway.  After his dream, Jacob decides that the LORD might just be the God for him.  Maybe.  He has a few conditions:

If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father’s house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God (Gen 28.20b-21)

I can relate.  We'd all like to make sure God's the real deal before we hook up. Of course God might feel the same way about us ...

No comments:

Post a Comment